Massacre at Paris Page 01
Massacre at Paris by Christopher Marlowe
Table of Contents with inital stage directions
* Dramatis Personae
* Scene 1: Enter Charles the French King, [Catherine] the Queene Mother, the King of Navarre, the Prince of Condye, the Lord high Admirall, and [Margaret] the Queene of Navarre, with others.
* Scene 2: Enter the Duke of Guise.
* Scene 3: Enter the King of Navar and Queen [Margaret], and his [olde] Mother Queen [of Navarre], the Prince of Condy, the Admirall, and the Pothecary with the gloves, and gives them to the olde Queene.
* Scene 4: Enter [Charles] the King, [Catherine the] Queene Mother, Duke of Guise, Duke Anjoy, Duke Demayne [and Cossin, Captain of the Kings Guard].
* Scene 5: Enter Guise, Anjoy, Dumaine, Gonzago, Retes, Montsorrell, and Souldiers to the massacre.
* Scene 6: Enter Mountsorrell and knocks at Serouns doore.
* Scene 7: Enter Ramus in his studie.
* Scene 8: Enter Anjoy, with two Lords of Poland.
* Scene 9: Enter two with the Admirals body.
* Scene 10: Enter five or sixe Protestants with bookes, and kneele together.
* Scene 11: Enter [Charles] the King of France, Navar and Epernoune staying him: enter Queene Mother, and the Cardinall [of Loraine, and Pleshe].
* Scene 12: Sound Trumpets within, and then all crye vive le Roy two or three times.
* Scene 13: Enter the Duchesse of Guise, and her Maide.
* Scene 14: Enter the King of Navarre, Pleshe and Bartus, and their train, with drums and trumpets.
* Scene 15: Enter [Henry] the King of France, Duke of Guise, Epernoune, and Duke Joyeux.
* Scene 16: Alarums within. The Duke Joyeux slaine.
* Scene 17: Enter a Souldier.
* Scene 18: Enter the King of Navarre reading of a letter, and Bartus.
* Scene 19: Enter the Captaine of the guarde, and three murtherers.
* Scene 20: Enter two [Murtherers] dragging in the Cardenall [of Loraine].
* Scene 21: Enter Duke Dumayn reading of a letter, with others.
* Scene 22: Sound Drumme and Trumpets, and enter the King of France, and Navarre, Epernoune, Bartus, Pleshe and Souldiers.
CHARLES THE NINTH--King of France
Duke of Anjou--his brother, afterwards KNIG HENRY THE THIRD
King of Navarre
PRINCE OF CONDE--his brother
DUKE OF GUISE
CARDINAL OF LORRAINE
SON TO THE DUKE OF GUISE--a boy
THE LORD HIGH ADMIRAL
DUKE OF JOYEUX
TWO LORDS OF POLAND
COSSINS,--Captain of the King's Guard
Captain of the Guard, Protestants, Schoolmasters, Soldiers, Murderers, Attendants, &c.
CATHERINE,--the Queen Mother of France
MARGARET,--her daughter, wife to the KING OF NAVARRE
THE OLD QUEEN OF NAVARRE
DUCHESS OF GUISE
WIFE TO SEROUNE
Maid to the Duchess of Guise
The Massacre at Paris. With the Death of the Duke of Guise.
Enter Charles the French King, [Catherine] the Queene Mother, the King of Navarre, the Prince of Condye, the Lord high Admirall, and [Margaret] the Queene of Navarre, with others.
CHARLES. Prince of Navarre my honourable brother, Prince Condy, and my good Lord Admirall, wishe this union and religious league, Knit in these hands, thus joyn'd in nuptiall rites, May not desolve, till death desolve our lives, And that the native sparkes of princely love, That kindled first this motion in our hearts, May still be feweld in our progenye.
NAVAREE. The many favours which your grace has showne, From time to time, but specially in this, Shall binde me ever to your highnes will, In what Queen Mother or your grace commands.
QUEENE MOTHER. Thanks sonne Navarre, you see we love you well, That linke you in mariage with our daughter heer: And as you know, our difference in Religion Might be a meanes to crosse you in your love.